Our Data Promise
All your personal Information is held and used in accordance with the the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003.
Before we get started, here are a few things to keep in mind. When we talk about ‘you’ or ‘your’ we mean the person who is our client, be it as a landlord, tenant, or franchisee or a person that has registered interest in our business, services we provide and rooms we rent.
ROOMS® is a franchised network that includes a number of independently owned companies, partnerships and sole traders who have a licence to use the ROOMS® brand, under their own company identity, details of which can be found on their office page at rooms.life
When we references “ROOMS®”, “we” or “us” this means the company Rooms & Co Ltd, our franchises and the websites which you are visiting.
ROOMS® is the trading style of Rooms & Co Ltd, a company registered in England & Wales with company number 08590277 and registered office located at 80 Camden Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 2QP.
What information we collect
There are a few ways we collect your information. This could be when you;
- Enquire about our products or services (whether via this website, over the phone, in one of our offices or with our agents)
- Create and log in to your account on our website
- Use our products or services e.g. becoming a tenant, renting your property, managing your rental property
- Contact us by telephone, email, electronic messaging (such as SMS, MMS or live chat tools) or post
- Visit this website, including using the “rooms search” tool
- When someone refers you for our products and services
- We also collect information about you from third parties. An example of this could be from Social Media Companies, enquiries through property search portals, lettings agents.
We’ll never keep more information from you than we need to. The types of information we collect will depend upon: (i) whether we collect the information from you or from someone else; and (ii) how / when we collect that information.
Information you give us
When you enquire our products or services, create an online account, or contact us with queries we’ll ask you to give us, where necessary, your generic details (i.e. name, surname, date of birth), your contact details (i.e. address, email, phone number),
Information we collect from you when you use our products and services
When you apply and sign up for our products and services, in addition to your generic details, we will ask you to give us your financial details (i.e. bank account, payment method, credit card number), date of birth, credit history, previous addresses and identification
Information collected from others
We may supplement the information that we collect from you, with information that we receive from third parties. This may include:
- Social Media Companies including Facebook, Twitter, Google+ when you interact with our brand through these platforms
- Previous or current landlords for the purpose of referencing
- Enquiries through property portals when you request further information on a property or request information or contact from one of our franchisees
- Letting agents, financial advisers, mortgage brokers, lenders and solicitors/conveyancing agents through transactions relating to the service we and our Franchisees are providing
- Other agents/companies as and when required for purposes which will be disclosed
How do we use this information, and what is the legal basis for this use?
We and our Franchisees process this personal data for the following purposes:
To fulfil a contract;
- providing our services, including processing information in connection with a property’s sale or letting, arrangements for the transfers of funds by or to third parties, end of contract arrangements;
- communicating with you.
As required by us and our Franchisees to conduct our business and pursue our respective legitimate interests:
- we will each use your information to provide services to you before we have a contract with you (for instance sending tenants property details), and to respond to any comments or complaints you may send us
- information you provide enables us to personalise our website, products and services for you
- if you provide a credit or debit card as payment, we and our Franchisee also use third parties to check the validity of the sort code, account number and card number you submit in order to prevent fraud (see data sharing below)
- we and our Franchisees use information you provide to investigate any complaints received from you or from others, about our services or the properties which we deal with;
- we and our Franchisees will use data in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes as necessary (including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation); and
- we and our Franchisees use data of some individuals to invite them to take part in market research;
Where you give us or our Franchisees consent:
we will send you direct marketing in relation to our relevant products and services, or other products and services provided by us, members of our group of companies and our partners such as:
Mortgage brokers we are partnered with for mortgage services and advice
Independent financial advisers for advice relating to your property and the services we offer
Solicitors and Conveyancing agents for legal advice relating to your property and the services we offer
- we place cookies and use similar technologies in accordance with our Cookies Policy and the information provided to you when those technologies are used; and
- on other occasions where we ask you for consent, we will use the data for the purpose which we explain at that time.
For purposes which are required by law:
- to verify your identity; and
- In response to requests by government or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation.
Withdrawing consent or otherwise objecting to direct marketing
Wherever we and/or our Franchisees rely on your consent, you will always be able to withdraw that consent, although we may each have other legal grounds for processing your data for other purposes, such as those set out above. In some cases, we and our Franchisees are able to send you direct marketing without your consent, where we rely on our respective legitimate interests.
You have an absolute right to opt-out of direct marketing or profiling we and our Franchisees carry out for direct marketing, at any time. You can do this by following unsubscribe instructions contained in the communication, or by contacting us using the details set out below.
Who will we share this data with, where and when?
We will share your personal data with companies in the same group of companies as us and our Franchisees for the purpose of providing a service to you and understanding your use of our products and services.
We and our Franchisees may share your data with
- Mortgage brokers we are partnered with for mortgage services and advice
- Independent financial advisers for advice relating to your property
- Solicitors and conveyancing agents for legal advice relating to your property
- Any other named party to a signed contract, such as your landlord or tenant
- Third parties who provide services to the property for maintenance and repairs including plumbers/electricians/builders/carpenters-)
- Surveying companies for surveying services required for the sale/purchase of your property
- Utilities companies where we are required to do so to adhere to a tenancy agreement
- Referencing companies to obtain references for letting a property
- Block managers where a let property is a leasehold property
- Inventory companies who conduct check ins and check outs
- Insurance and warranty companies where you have decided to buy a product or service through us.
Personal data may be shared with government authorities and/or law enforcement officials if required for the purposes above, if mandated by law or if required for the legal protection of our legitimate interests in compliance with applicable laws.
Personal data will also be shared with third party service providers, who will process it on behalf of Rooms & Co Ltd to help us run our website and also to provide our services to you. Such third parties include providers of identity checking, referencing, database management, email communications and live chat services.
In the event that we sell or integrate our business with another business, your details will be disclosed to our advisers and any prospective purchaser’s adviser and will be passed to the new owners of the business.
How long will you retain my data?
Where we and/or our Franchisees process personal data in connection with performing a contract, we keep the data for 7 years from your last interaction with us.
Where we and/or our Franchisees process registration data, we do this for as long as you are an active user of our sites and for 7 years after this.
Where we and/or our Franchisees process personal data for marketing purposes or with your consent, we process the data until you ask us to stop and for a short period after this (to allow us to implement your requests). We also keep a record of the fact that you have asked us not to send you direct marketing or to process your data indefinitely so that we can respect your request in future.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
Any changes we may make to this policy in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our policy.
What rights do I have
You have the right to ask us or our Franchisees for a copy of your personal data; to correct, delete or restrict (stop any active) processing of your personal data; and to obtain the personal data you provide to us for a contract or with your consent in a structured, machine readable format, and to ask us to share (port) this data to another controller.
In addition, you can object to the processing of your personal data in some circumstances (in particular, where we don’t have to process the data to meet a contractual or other legal requirement, or where we are using the data for direct marketing).
These rights may be limited, for example if fulfilling your request would reveal personal data about another person, or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping.
To exercise any of these rights, you can get in touch with us using the details set out below. If you have unresolved concerns, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
How do I get in touch with you?
If you have any questions about this policy, or would like to opt out of direct marketing, you can get in touch with us at tunbridgewells@rooms
For queries regarding ROOMS® services, please call our team on 01892 536576
If you’ve got any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information you can:
Write to us at:
Data Protection Team
Rooms & Co Ltd
80 Camden Road
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re not satisfied with our response to your question or concern, or believe our processing of your information doesn’t comply with data protection law, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/